Start Christmas in Hertford
Posted on 24/11/2018
The annual Hertford Christmas Gala will take place on Friday 23rd November from 3.30pm - 8pm, followed by the Think Christmas Think Hertford shopping event on Saturday 24th November.
Both events are organised by Hertford Town Council, and sponsored by Specsavers Hertford, Wrenbridge (Bircherley Green Shopping Centre redevelopers) and Duffield Harrison Solicitors. The festivities take place in Hertford town centre, where residents and visitors are encouraged to visit the county town, shop locally and get into the Christmas spirit.
Hertford Christmas Gala
The streets will be filled with Christmas market stalls, children will be able to meet Santa in his grotto, reindeers can be stroked, and visitors even get a chance to hold a friendly barn owl.
Street entertainers including Olaf from Frozen and Mickey and Minnie Mouse will roam around the town, there will be fairground rides and singers, performers and bands will perform live on stage.
The Mayor of Hertford, Cllr Beryl Wrangles, accompanied by Santa, will switch the Christmas tree lights on in Salisbury Square at 6.30pm.
A free children’s elf trail will also launch on the day of the Christmas Gala and run until 22nd December.
In addition, 40 of the retailers will offer in store discounts and promotions. Examples of some of the discounts, events and promotions will include:
• Pitchers Barn Antiques - Free mince pie and glass of wine whilst browsing unique Christmas gifts.
• Leaf Café - “Decorating Gingerbread” from 1.30pm-5pm £3 per child & includes a little bag to take gingerbread men/Rudolph’s home in.
• Hertford Museum - Christmas Extravaganza: crafts, carol singing from St Andrew’s Church Choir, storytelling & Father Christmas in his grotto. 4pm – 8pm
• Old Barge – ‘Cheese & Wine Society Evening’ in conjunction with The Cheeseplate from 8pm, £30pp booking essential.
• Monsoon – Free colouring station in store for children, complete a colouring entry and win a prize. Competition will run from 24-26th November.
• Lance James The Jewellers - Jewellery sale up to 50% off, lucky dip to win surprise present, 10am - 8pm.
• Hertford Theatre – Enjoy Christmas Craft activities, free face painting, special offers and goody bags.
• Six Templars - Free mulled cider tastings.
• Paul Martin Perfumery – Up to 10% off full price products when you show your Christmas Gala event programme.
• Costa Coffee – 25% off on everything when you show your Christmas Gala event programme.
Think Christmas Think Hertford
The festivities continue after the Christmas Gala with Think Christmas Think Hertford, an event that runs on Saturday 24th November in the town centre.
Children will be able to watch a free magic show from 11am – 12pm in the White Hart Courtyard located in Salisbury Square. They can also participate in ‘Beat the Santa Goalie’ located by the Hertford Theatre Green.
In addition, there will be free balloon modelling in Parliament Square along with Christmas scenery, a snow machine, arts and crafts activities with CHIPS charity and performances from 12.30pm – 2.30pm including free salsa lessons with Salsa Factory.
Many retailers will be offering discounts, promotions and in-store entertainment throughout the day. Highlights include:
• Unico – Make your own pizza for kids, 11am-2pm £1 per child, booking essential.
• The Hummingbird - Newly opened & based in Fore Street will be giving away free delicious mince pies for grown-ups and festive cookies for children.
• Mudlarks Garden Café –Visit Santa’s Grotto and receive an early gift (small charge • per child) 10am – 4pm.
• Specsavers – Free craft goodie bag for kids and £5 sight test voucher, spec case & poncho for everyone. Event Sponsors
• Edinburgh Woollen Mill –Free sherry and shortbread tasting in store from 11am -4pm.
• Jewel of Hearts - 15% off all silver, gold and diamond jewellery when you show your events festival programme.
• Love Locks Hair & Makeup Lounge – Sparkle Package, plaits & face glitter for £5. 10% for adult walk-in clients when you show your Christmas Gala event programme.
• Magpie Amore - Enjoy a free festive treat or two as you browse the store.
• Mark Wines Antiques - 10% discount on all ticketed items when you show your Christmas Gala event programme.
• The White Hart - Free mince pies and 2 for 1 on Gingerbread Martini’s between 6pm 7pm.
• Messages – Free Christmas treats while you shop. • Albany Radio Euronics - Join in in the festive activities whilst shopping.
Chairman of Hertford Town Council’s Development & Leisure Committee, Councillor Jane Sartin, said: “As thoughts turn to Christmas shopping and celebrating the season, the events in Hertford town centre on 23rd and 24th November will hopefully remind everyone of all that our town centre has to offer. It is a real tribute to the community spirit in Hertford that so many local businesses are getting involved in the events with special offers and activities, and I hope local residents and visitors alike will take the opportunity to spend time enjoying our town centre.”
Visit www.gohertford.co.uk/events/ to download the event programme.