Hertford Town & Tourist Information Centre
The place to start if you want to find out about Hertford.
Tuesday-Saturday 9.30 am - 5.00 pm
Closed Mondays, Sundays and Bank Holidays
Open Sundays in the month of August in addition to usual opening times.
Hertford Town & Tourist Information Centre in detail…
Hertford Town and Tourist Information Centre is the place to start if you want to find out about Hertford past and present - why not pick up a free Town Guide Call into our shop at:
Telephone: 01992 584322
Closed Mondays, Bank Holidays and Sundays
Open Sundays in the month of August in addition to usual opening times.
• Where to go – What to do for all the family
• Events and Leisure Information
• Maps, Guides & Souvenirs
• Free UK Holiday Information
• Accommodation Lists
• Photocopy Service
• Ticket Sales Service
Accommodation Listing Please click here to view our accomodation listing for guests and visitors.
Frequently asked questions
• Where is Hertford Castle and Gardens?
Just a stone’s throw from Hertford’s historic town centre - for more information including a map go to www.hertfordcastle.co.uk/visitorinfo/
• What can I see at the Hertford Museum?
Hertford Museum aims to collect, preserve and interpret evidence of the history of the county town and surrounding parishes in the district of East Hertfordshire for the interest, enjoyment and understanding of the local community and other visitors. For more information please go to www.hertfordmuseum.org
• What is there to see on the Hertford Walking Trail?
Hertford is the county town of Hertfordshire. The walking trail enables visitors to discover the historical buildings and monuments Hertford offers. Please call into the TTIC and ask for a copy of the Hertford Town Guide that has an easy-to-follow Walking Trail.
• Where can I eat or get something to drink in Hertford?
Hertford has a wide range of pubs, restaurants and cafes to suit all tastes and prices-ranges. For a comprehensive list of places to eat have a look at www.gohertford.co.uk and click on the drop down menus on the Home Page for “Pubs and Bars” “Restaurants” and “Cafes and Coffee Shops”.
• Are there any places to eat by the river?
There are two great pubs on the banks of the River Lea - The Old Barge and The Woolpack. Both have a wide range of local beers and have mouth-watering menus. For more information on these and other pubs and bars in Hertford click on www.gohertford.co.uk and then the drop down menu on the Home Page for “Pubs and Bars”
• What’s on at the Cinema and/or the Hertford Theatre?
Since the sparkling transformation in 2010, Hertford Theatre has become one of the region's most popular venues for showcasing all things arts. There really is something for everyone! With a stunning digital cinema, complete with its epic screen and Dolby surround sound, the beautiful open-plan gallery space, café bar, studio and River Room it’s well equipped. Enjoy an evening of world-class theatre, cinema, comedy and music right here on your doorstep. You can book tickets in person, via the phone or directly online. To book tickets and up-to-date information, please visit www.hertfordtheatre.com.
• Where can I get some information on my family tree and Ancestry?
Discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more at the County Archive, Library, Hertford Museum, War memorial, Cemetery. For more information go to www.hertsdirect.org/services/leisculture/heritage1/hals/ and www.hertfordmuseum.org and www.hertford.gov.uk/cemetery
• Where to shop in Hertford?
Hertford has a wide variety of shops ranging from the well-known High Street names to local independent boutiques. For more information click on www.gohertford.co.uk
• Can you tell me about events at the Corn Exchange?
Chris & Juliette welcome you to one of Hertford’s music entertainment venue offering music, comedy and dance. The venue once hosted the likes of The WHO, The Pretenders and The Kinks and most recently Bad Manners – the Hertford Corn Exchange. For more information and to see what’s on click on www.hertfordcornexchange.co.uk
• What Festivals and Events are going on in Hertford?
Hertford Town and Tourist Information Centre sell tickets to a vast number of local and national events. For a list of what’s coming to Hertford click on www.hertford.gov.uk/events/
• I’m thinking of moving to Hertford- can you give me some information on local estate agents, places to live, local schools?
Hertford is a great place to live and work. It’s a historic market town with a wide range of shops, pubs, cafes and restaurants. There is a wide range of houses and flats available. It’s also very handy for London - just 40 minutes away by train. Please call into Hertford Town and Tourist Information Centre for a list of estate agents and a relocation pack.
• I need Bus timetable information.
The Intalink partnership provides the latest bus travel information in Hertfordshire. You will be able to find timetables and maps, how to plan your journey and a lot more by clicking on www.intalink.org.uk. Hertford Tourist and Information Centre also have an up-to-date list of buses serving Hertford along with timetables.
• I need Railway timetable information - can you tell me about trains going into London?
Hertford is very well connected having two railway stations and trains to London, Peterborough, Cambridge and Stanstead Airport. For trains from Hertford North station see www.thameslinkrailway.com and for trains from Hertford East station see www.abelliogreateranglia.co.uk.
• Where can I spend the night in Hertford?
Hertford has a number of fine accommodations on offer. Please call into the Hertford Town and Tourist Information Centre for a full list of hotels and B & B’s in the area or click on www.gohertford.co.uk/directory/c/hotel/
Attractions with website links where available.
• Hertford Museum www.hertfordmuseum.org
• Hertford Castle Gardens www.hertfordcastle.co.uk
• Hertford Theatre and Cinema www.hertfordtheatre.com
• Boat trips on the River Lea and the river experience www.riverleecruises.co.uk and www.leeandstortboats.co.uk• Hartham Common
• Hertford to Ware towpath
• Hartham Leisure Centre www.everyoneactive.com/centre/hartham-leisure-centre/
• Pubs, restaurants and cafes in Hertford www.gohertford.co.uk
• Shops in Hertford www.gohertford.co.uk
• Art and Craft workshops in Hertford www.gohertford.co.uk
• Events in Hertford –Live Music, Heritage weekends, Open Air Cinema, Food and Drink Festival, Castle Open Days and Christmas Gala www.hertford.gov.uk/events or www.gohertford.co.uk
• Panshanger Park www.hertswildlifetrust.org.uk/what-we-do/panshanger-park
Hertford Town Council is responsible for the Christmas lights around the town and for the traditional tree in Salisbury Square.
Hertford is a member of the Historic Towns Forum which represents local authorities having responsibilty for the management of historic towns and cities.
The Town Council provides support for the town centre through activities to draw trade to the town, and engagement in matters affecting the town centre. The Town Centre Co-ordinator is working with Hertford Town Council and local retailers to help boost the economy within the Town.
To contact the Town Centre Officer, please telephone 01992 552885.
Neighbouring Tourist Information Centres:
Bishop's Stortford Tourist Information
Centre 2 Market Square
Tel: 01279 655831
Letchworth Garden City Tourist Information Centre
33-35 Station Road
Letchworth Garden City
Tel: 01462 487868
If you feel there is something missing, or are the business owner and wish to get this listing updated, please contact the Town Centre Coordinator at Hertford Town Council on: 01992 552 885.